|Next Race||Sunday 8th October 2017, 11am (Registration from 9:00am)|
|Organiser||Carnethy Hill Running Club
Race Director: Joel Sylvester (firstname.lastname@example.org)
||£10 pre-entry only (no entry on the day)|
|Race Category||AL, 16 miles, 6200 feet total climb|
|Course Records||Men: Kris Jones 02:15:52 (2016)
Women: A Mudge 2:42:29 (2002)
|Registration||Hillend Public Park,
Biggar Road, Edinburgh, EH10 7DU
Grid Reference: NT249669
|Previous Skyline Results|
|Man-or Mouse Results
(for combined Manor Water and Pentland Skyline when they’re on the same weekend)
|Past Winners||Winners and Records since 1986|
|2009 Photo Report||Photos taken by a Student Photographer|
|2007 Photo Report||Including FRA report and prize winners|
|A Runner’s Report from 2007||Member Michael O’Connor shares his pain.|
|2006 Photo Report||Including route commentry by Willie Gibson|
|The Peasouper Skyline From Hell||Skyline Poem by Tom Moffat and Ewan McColl|
|Pentland Skyline Slide Show||Series of Photos taken in 2004|
|Lothian Bus Timetable for Number 4||Edinburgh-Hillend|
|Lothian Bus Timetable for Number X15||Penicuik-Bush-Prestonpans|
|Race Map||download (1.7 Mb)|
|Race Registration Form for on the day entries (limited)
||download (23 Kb)|
|Race Checkpoints and Escape Points||download (18 Kb)|
|Steven Fallon’s Virtual Skyline Route Map||download (1.8 Mb)|
|All Carnethy organised races (unless stated otherwise) will adhere to the Scottish Hill Runners safety rules.
Full details on the Hill Racing Safety page
- Competitors must have the following minimum kit with them at all times during the race.
This is the minimum kit requirement for this event, but you are responsible for carrying any additional items you consider necessary for your own protection given the conditions, or as the race organiser may dictate on the day.
- Waterproof jacket with hood
- Waterproof overtrousers
- Hat and gloves
- Map and compass suitable for navigating the course.
- Hill Racing experience required. This race is not suitable for beginner hill racers. If you are in any doubt about your eligibility to run the race, contact the race organiser.
- Navigational skills required. You MUST be able to find your way in mist using map and compass. You cannot depend on being able to follow a path or another runner. Local knowledge an advantage.
- All competitors must be aged 18 or over on day of race.
- If you see someone in trouble YOU MUST HELP, even if it cost you the race.
- Runners taking more than 2 hours 15 mins to reach checkpoint 12 (The Drove Road) are required to retire and accept a lift to the start/finish.
- Runners are not allowed to run with their dogs on the course.
- Report to the nearest race marshal if possible.
- We recommend (where possible) using one of the two escape points indicated on map above.
- YOU MUST REPORT TO THE FINISH and return your race wristband. If you do not we MUST come and look for you.
Other Race Information
- The course will not be marked.
- You are responsible for your own safety.
- The course is long, with a lot of climbing, some steep. Some of it is grassy, some on gravel paths, some in deep heather without useful paths. Fell shoes or equivalent are strongly advised.
- Suitable Maps: (The downloadable map above is sufficient for the race if you are comfortable with it)
- Explorer 344: Pentland Hills, Penicuik & West Linton (1:25000)
- Landranger 66: Edinburgh, Penicuik & North Berwick (1:50000)
- Harvey Pentland Hills (1:25000)
- The organiser recommends trying this course before race day or at least doing some training runs of equivalent height and distance. This race is much harder than over 16 miles of easy country.
- Race Control contact number: 07788 876547 (emergency only).
- Keeping for bags is available at race start. Ask at registration.
- Please don’t park at the Snowsports Centre car park as this is intended for Snowsports Centre customers.