Rob Roy Way run

The Rob Roy Way run was successfully completed by nine runners on Sunday afternoon.  We started from Edinburgh on Thursday evening in a mini-bus – picking up runners on the way to a B&B in Drymen.  The next day started rather wet as we ran northwards from Drymen and through Loch Ard Forest to Aberfoyle.  From there we ran on a rather wet and muddy footpath through forest and open moorland past the foot of the Menteith Hills.  Ollie was waiting for us with the mini-bus at the shores of Loch Venachar.  This gave us welcome shelter in the bus for a lunch stop.  We continued eastwards past the loch and across towards Kilmahog.  By this time the rain had eased off and we had alternate wet and dry spells.  We got onto the cycle track at Kilmahog and ran all the way up the west side of Loch Lubnaig to our B&B in Strathyre.  A good meal and drinks restored our energy ready for the next day.

On Saturday we found our way out of Strathyre through the back of a hotel car park and up onto a high forest road.  This took us for several miles along to the Kingshouse Hotel.  We got back onto the cycle track and ran for miles past Lochearnhead and up to the top of Glen Ogle.  The weather turned sunny and we had magnificent views along the full length of Loch Earn.  Ollie was waiting for us at the head of the glen so we paused for another refreshment stop.  After we crossed the main road we stayed high on a forest road which contoured around the hills above Killin.  We occasionally got great views across Loch Tay to Ben Lawers through gaps in the trees.  We paused at the large reservoir of Lochan Breaclaich for lunch.  The hydro road went for a few more miles before we left it and tried to follow a barely existent path across the hillside to the Outdoor Centre near Ardeonaig.  For some of the runners that was the end of the day's journey.  The rest of us continued for endless miles along the south Loch Tay road towards Acharn.  Arthur was the only one to actually get there.  The rest of us were picked up on the way by Ollie who had to get us back to the Outdoor Centre in time for early dinner.  After dinner we relaxed in the lounge and Arthur treated us to some of his excellent malt whisky.

The following day we bussed back up to Acharn then climbed up the hill past the Falls.  A complex sequence of hill tracks and footpaths took us round the hillsides above Kenmore then on towards Aberfeldy.  We had intended to come down by the Birks of Aberfeldy but somehow missed a turning.  We were compensated by a long stop in an Aberfeldy teashop for cakes and tea.  Suitably fortified, we followed the path along the south bank of the Tay to Grandtully.  We crossed the river to Strathtay and saw the first sign to our destination,”footpath to Pitlochry”.  The path climbed high over open moorland before descending through a forest towards Pitlochry.  The most hazardous part of the journey was crossing the busy A9 to get to Pitlochry.  Our journey finally finished outside the railway station, some 75 miles after we had started.

Many thanks to Nicki for superbly organising a great weekend and to Olivier for supporting us so well.

Nigel Rose

last few miles
last few miles

Home | Go Back
© Carnethy.com 2014